Star Wars: Dark Horizons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums to the MUSH: SWDH

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)

Go down 
+2
Stalker1
Gulp
6 posters

Which Advancement System?
Class-Based System: Create Two-Class Composite At Each Level
Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) Vote_lcap42%Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) Vote_rcap
 42% [ 5 ]
Point-Based System: Every Time You Level, Gain Trait Points
Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) Vote_lcap17%Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) Vote_rcap
 17% [ 2 ]
Do Both (You Choose Which Advancement You Take)
Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) Vote_lcap41%Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) Vote_rcap
 41% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Gulp
Game Owner
Gulp

Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) Empty
PostSubject: Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 8:09 am

I was pondering systems of advancement.

One I believe I've laid out. You take two "ingredient classes". You receive a spread based on that. The maximum boost to any one trait is fairly low, because the ingredient classes don't stack; the higher value is taken, but not the combined value, for any given trait.

The second is pretty simple: every time you level up, you gain (X) trait points. Some traits "cost" more (Dodge would be more expensive than Salvage), say at a rate of 2, 3, or 4 per some defined skill level. The MAXIMUM you can level a trait to is a function of your level. At level 5, you could level any trait up to five times and no more.

The third possibility is to allow both systems simultaneously.

Please fill out the poll and give whatever feedback you'd like.
Back to top Go down
Stalker1
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan
Stalker1

PostSubject: Re: Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I need more coffee?
Must, because I don't understand these plans, nor what ingredient classes are or trait points or how any of that works for the Characters or what is availble or anything about the skills/traits that will be available.

Can you explain it a bit more for us that have no idea what is what?
Back to top Go down
Gulp
Game Owner
Gulp

PostSubject: Re: Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 5:58 pm

System 1:

Congratulations! You can now level up.

What combination of base classes will you choose? Well, your character is a skilled sharpshooter, so you choose to have Sniper in the mix. Suppose you decide Sniper/Sneak is your most IC combination.

Sniper gives you:
Streetwise: +1 Dodge: +2
Survival: +2 Blaster: +3
Thrown: +1 Explosives: +1
Hotwiring: +2 Stealth: +3

Sneak gives you:
Forensics: +2 Communications: +2
Streetwise: +3 Dodge: +3

The combo gives you:
Forensics: +2 Communications: +2
Streetwise: +3 Dodge: +3
Survival: +2 Blaster: +3
Thrown: +1 Explosives: +1

The higher value for any given trait is taken. This system promotes diversification of skills and abilities, preventing "idiot savantism".
Back to top Go down
Gulp
Game Owner
Gulp

PostSubject: Re: Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 6:00 pm

System 2:

Congratulations! You can now level up.

You have 21 (or whatever) trait points to put into any traits you so desire. You have a maximum of (level x 3) trait points in any given trait. This discourages idiot savantism, because you can't dump everything into one trait. You might dump everything into seven ...
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

PostSubject: Re: Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 6:56 pm

I'm all for the Class System. I think we want to avoid mini-maxing as best we can and create more well-rounded characters. If we document the skills better... (ie: what will X be used for?) then I think the class system will allow that. I think the trait-point way allows you to really focus in on your main skills and no others.
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

PostSubject: Re: Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:56 am

Class system.

System two offers no benefit other than catering to twinks even with the limits in place.

If you allow both, those who follow system one will be dominated by the twinks who choose system #2. And lets face it, we arent going to have anyone using a trait system to max out their communication or forensics. It's going to be all dodge, firearms, HP, and force stuff.
Back to top Go down
Royal Jelly
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan
Royal Jelly

PostSubject: Re: Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:03 am

I'm usually for points as it allows for more character personalization and doesn't pigeonhole people into a fixed archetype, but such a system would, unfortunately, be abused.

A two-class system does allow for some flexibility, however.
Back to top Go down
Haibane
Vagrant
Vagrant
Haibane

PostSubject: Choosing Your Skills   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 12:45 pm

I have to agree that choosing your skills would increase twink numbers but in D&D as you increased abilities they became progressively expensive. 10 - 14 was 1 point, 15 - 17 was two points, 18 was 3 points, etc. Either you can be well rounded but not exceptional at anything, or exceptional but limited.

Another thing is that costs for certain skills should be higher than for others. I was always blown away by the fact that Swim cost just as much as Tumble however my DM never used swim ever! Tumble came up all the time though. If we want a you pick system staff need to reconginze what skills are used all the time and make them more expensive than the stuff that is generally ignored.

Another issue is our enviroment. If all our plots are combat solved then everyone will take combat skills. But if a plot requires lockpick and you are screwed without it then guess what people are going to take lockpick. If the group has 4 people and only 1 has the right skill that saves the day then make them look like the hero. Sure all the 3 Jedi cut down 1,000,000 battle droids in 2 seconds, but because one player had one rank in climb they were able to get up the tree and save the kitten and ended up in the local paper.

If you don't want twinks then encourange an anti-twink enviroment. 100 ranks in lightsaber doesn't do anyone any good if the weapon shorts out and they are 0 rank in everything else. Yes I know this is twink harsh but do we even want them?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)   Advancement - Alternatives (Poll) Empty

Back to top Go down

Advancement - Alternatives (Poll)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars: Dark Horizons :: Community :: General Discussion-
Jump to: