Star Wars: Dark Horizons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums to the MUSH: SWDH

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favourite Videogame

Go down 
+11
rcrantz
Bo
Firehawk
Tah
Sephiroth9611
Gulp
Vitacus
Bonker
Umbral Reaver
MandalorianPride
15 posters
AuthorMessage
MandalorianPride
Fledgling
Fledgling
MandalorianPride

Favourite Videogame Empty
PostSubject: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 am

What is your favourite video game of ALL TIME, and why?

I volunteer Way of the Samurai for playstation. For the sake of your time, I've put the reasons in bullet form.

- Character creation similar to Bioware games.
- Freeform dialogue choice options, allowing you to eavesdrop, ignore, walk away, or even attack people who are talking instead of picking your best answer. (But you can do that too.)
- Epic sword fighting system where you can initiate random slaughter all over the town, or come across thugs who provoke action.
- Multiple factions to side with. The government shogunate, two warring samurai gangs, and the people of the town. You can even try to side with all of them, if you can pull it off.
- Beautiful landscape and music, fight on mountains, shallow rivers, and rickety bridges.
- Improve your sword at the blacksmith, collect other swords, or kill people to take theirs.
- Multiple endings.

Those are the highlights that jumped out at me. There is a Way of the Samurai 2 but it has poor voice acting and kind of pales in comparison to the original.

That's mine. What's yours?
Back to top Go down
Umbral Reaver
Vagrant
Vagrant
Umbral Reaver

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:29 am

DWARF FORTRESS

No explanation is required.
Back to top Go down
Bonker
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Best Video Game   Favourite Videogame EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 1:49 am

Best video game was Super Mario 3. Super Metroid is the second best. I don't know why anyone would ever think different.
Back to top Go down
Vitacus
Nub--Newbie?!
Nub--Newbie?!

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 6:27 am

For computer:

The Day Of The Tentacle
Easy is my setting for games alas, so this puzzle game was my speed.
Fun story. Great comedy. Memorable lines and voices.

For my game consoles:

Ultimate Spider-man (gamecube)
Unfortunately for me, this is my favorite game I own. Unfortunate because the only way to re-fight all the bosses is to replay the game. Also, unfortunately, I suck at the difficult and insane races, so I will never get to play as black-suit spidey.
On the upside, I dig the story, playing as either Spidey or Venom, and the free roam web slinging is so very very relaxing. I break out the game nowadays just to web sling.

The Force Unleashed (ps2)
Downside... why the heck doesn't the apprentice wield his lightsaber the other way around like he's supposed to? The only time he does is when he stands idle and it isn't activated. Weird. Also, no bonuses for finding all the holocrons, crystals and hilts. I checked youtube for the gameplay and cinematic cutscenes for the ps3 version. The acting / line delivery is cheesier in the ps2 version.
Upside... although simpler, I prefer the environment / look of the ps2 version. It's more welcoming somehow.
Back to top Go down
Gulp
Game Owner
Gulp

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 pm

Final Fantasy VI.
Final Fantasy IX.
Final Fantasy VII.
Back to top Go down
Sephiroth9611
Fledgling
Fledgling
Sephiroth9611

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 9:00 pm

Gulp wrote:
Final Fantasy VI.
Final Fantasy IX.
Final Fantasy VII.
What he said. Plus I'll throw in Bushido Blade as the best fighting game ever.
Back to top Go down
Tah
Emeritus Wizard
Tah

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 1:47 am

It must be my ADHD, but I can't appreciate the Final Fantasy series. Final Fantasy III had me hooked for awhile, but I found the pace boring.

I'd say the best games out there in the genre of action RPGs would be Brave Fencer Mushashi. I loved that old school PS1 game. Megaman Legends was pretty awesome too as a third-person shooter RPG. In terms of FPS, it'd be Team Fortress 2.
Back to top Go down
MandalorianPride
Fledgling
Fledgling
MandalorianPride

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 2:13 am

Can't really disagree with any of those games, besides Dwarf Fortress. Never really got into that one, not my style.

Tah:

Musashi was a GREAT game. I remember bringing that guy set up in the stocks (or whatever you call that big wooden handcuff thing) bread because he was so hungry, and he was like "You trying to kill me!? I need something to drink with that too!"

... Fine. So I go get him some milk. "MILK? LOL! I'm lactose intolerant you noob."
.. Finally the guy accepts water from the well. Ungrateful criminal.

I also had a lot of those action figures you can collect too.

Megaman Legends was fun, but I never beat the game. I mostly just played around, kicking all of the soft drink machines or whatever.

Vitacus:

I can get on board with Ultimate Spider-Man. Nothing beats swinging to the tallest building and diving off, only to swing to safety at the LAST possible moment. Try to make it further and further each time before swinging Razz

Also beating up criminals is fun.
Back to top Go down
Tah
Emeritus Wizard
Tah

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:18 am

Man, you make me nostalgic. Too bad my CD-rom was a pirated version, and I no longer have a mod chip. My favorite dungeon was probably the Vampire one.

I heard Day of the Tentacle was good. I wonder if they have it for Mac. We'll have to see.

"I feel like I could... like I could... like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 10:43 am

I am not a console gamer. Okay, I own an XBox 360, but my last console was a NES. Which I sold and never played any console until the 360.

So forgive me for never getting into console gaming.

For greatest game ever played... it's not that hard.

Knights of the Old Republic is the greatest RPG. The story, the twist, the raw adventure. I've never been so moved as I was at the end of KOTOR.

Tie Fighter is the greatest flight sim. Nothing has matched that game since. It was amazing.

Civilization... 3 is the greatest TBSG. I almost want to say 4, because 4 is awesome, too. And so was 2. But 4 went a little lame. 3 was always pretty awesome.

Sim City 2000 is the best Sim game. It was, and remains, perfect.

FPS games are hard to qualify as "best" since they have been leap frogging each other a lot. Team Fortress 2 is pretty awesome, however. Though I'll go a bit more Old School and simply say Half Life. Since it was so awesome the first time.
Back to top Go down
Bonker
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: KOTOR et al.   Favourite Videogame EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 3:52 pm

I don't like KOTOR and Fable if only for the reason that you end up either being Satan or Jesus, with no ground in between. There should be room for a slightly evilish guy who just made bad choices, or a good guy with a vice or two. Like in Fallout 3.
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 7:19 pm

You could be average.
Back to top Go down
Bo
Wizard
Bo

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:49 pm

By Era...

The Legend of Zelda
I played it over and over again, handicapping myself with only using the wooden sword!

Final Fantasy
Yes. The original. One of the first games with replayability due to different class compositions.

Knights of the Old Republic
Going with Firehawk on this one. Probably my favorite game ever.

Is anyone going to play the new MMO being put out by BioWare? It looks, really, like you can play the thing through several times with several classes like a single player if you want.. but I think it would be a blast going through with some people you know. I play Lord of the Rings Online with an old friend 2 or 3 times a month and it's a great way to waste a few hours on a weeknight Wink
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:36 am

Baldurs Gate 2
Back to top Go down
rcrantz
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
rcrantz

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 2:55 am

On computer:

Diablo II
Thief 1 and 2
Nethack
Dwarf Fortress

A few others thrown in there occasionally but those are the three I always come back to.

On console, any Zelda game I have played has been pretty damn fun, and I will play most games that have a really fun multiplayer mode.

I'm also a huge fan of arcade games in the vein of Ikaruga and Asteroids.
Back to top Go down
Bonker
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Best Games   Favourite Videogame EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 7:20 am

Link to the Past is the third best game ever made.

However, people seem to still be getting #1 and #2 wrong. It is, in order, Super Mario Bros. 3, and then Super Metroid.

While the XBox is fun, the Halo game chain cannot outweigh the might that is snes.

Portal is also an acceptable answer for people who aren't old enough to remember our archaic video game friends, Mario, Samus, and Link from their 2-D days.
Back to top Go down
Malkleth
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: PSX goodness   Favourite Videogame EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 7:37 am

I suggest that you look into ePSXe, tah. I also have a $10 widget that lets me use a playstation controller through a USB port.

Well how ELSE was I going to play Symphony of the Night?
Back to top Go down
Gulp
Game Owner
Gulp

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 5:28 pm

I liked Fable at first, but it turned out lame as soon as the scripted story drew to a close and you were forced to interact with the game engine in the raw. The emperor had no clothes.
Back to top Go down
MandalorianPride
Fledgling
Fledgling
MandalorianPride

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:13 am

Beyond replaying Fable for the different alignment choices, and endings there isn't really much value.

There are things like achievements and little functions like jobs, and stuff to keep you playing. Or just wanting to explore everything, and open every demon door.

As far as old school games go, I'm always there for getting two or three friends together and going through TMNT Turtles in Time or some crazy arcade adventure like that.

Solo, probably something like Super Mario RPG, or Kirby Super Star. Those will keep you occupied for hours. I'm okay with Final Fantasy but the constant barrage of random battles, and the grind associated makes me lose interest pretty fast. Especially if there's not enough story to go with it.

Also, Afro Smiley. afro
Back to top Go down
Mr.T
Wizard
Mr.T

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 am

Favorite RPGs: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, and XII. Also Knights of the Old Republic, the Legend of Zelda Link to the Past, and Mario RPG.

Favorite FPS: I'd have to say Rainbow Six Vegas II or Call of Duty World at War.

Favorite Sports: Madden <insert year>.

Favorite Strategy: Civilization 4, Age of Empires II.

Favorite all around game: Civilization 4 - Fall From Heaven II mod-pack.
Back to top Go down
Bogey
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Favorites   Favourite Videogame EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Here is what I would list as favorites:

Best RPG: Baldurs Gate II, Fallout 1/2, KOTOR

Best Strat: Starcraft, Civilization, X-COM: UFO Defense

Best SIM: The Sims, F-16 Fighting falcon, X-Wing

Best Shooter: Doom II, Half-Life, Halo

Best Sports: Madden Series

Best Console: KOTOR, FF VII, Metroid

Best Fighter: Street Fighter II, Samurai Showdown, Mortal Kombat

Best Arcade: Golden Axe, Gauntlet, Dragons Lair

Honorable Mention: Super Mario III and Stryder

Smile
Back to top Go down
wing omega
Fledgling
Fledgling

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Best RPG: Suikoden II and V, Final Fantasy VI, VII, and XII, KOTOR

Best Strat: Starcraft, Jagged Alliance 2, X-COM: UFO Defense

Best SIM: X-Wing Series, Star Crusader, Jetfighter 2, Mechwarrior 4, Heavy Gear

Best Shooter: Doom II, Half-Life 2, Halo, Jedi Knight

Best Fighter: Super Street Fighter II, Samurai Showdown, Mortal Kombat II, Killer Instinct

Best Arcade: Star Wars classic arcade game, Alien vs Predator, X-Men

Best Adventure game: Star Control II, Starflight
Back to top Go down
Mr.T
Wizard
Mr.T

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 2:31 pm

I forgot to include TIE Fighter on my list.
Back to top Go down
MandalorianPride
Fledgling
Fledgling
MandalorianPride

PostSubject: duh   Favourite Videogame EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Just to throw this in here as it hit me:

Final Fantasy Tactics, and Tactics Ogre.

Two great strategy games for Playstation. The 5 on 5 or 10 on 10 soldier battle, the character customization and training, and the bloody battles.

Mostly what jumps at me here is the way you can recruit generic soldiers and make them into something. Characters can die on the field, which can mean nothing or a lot if you've spent a lot of time on them.

Plus (at least in ogre for sure) your choices guide the story in different directions. You can choose to be a tyrant, hero, mercenary, etc. The stories are epic.

Great games. (Not to mention awesome musical scores).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Videogame   Favourite Videogame Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite Videogame
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars: Dark Horizons :: Community :: Chatterbox-
Jump to: