Star Wars: Dark Horizons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums to the MUSH: SWDH

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Story hook XP

Go down 
+7
Bonker
Gliv
Tah
Umbral Reaver
Firehawk
Kez
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:02 pm

Is the storyteller hook program XP still going to be awarded? I havent seen mine arrive yet!
Back to top Go down
Kez
Fledgling
Fledgling
Kez

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Neither has mine Sad
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyWed Aug 12, 2009 11:43 pm

It has not.
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:10 am

ETA? On day 1 of DH2 we were told it would be awarded on day 2 of DH2. This deadline is far past. It is not much work to do this either.
Back to top Go down
Umbral Reaver
Vagrant
Vagrant
Umbral Reaver

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 am

Maybe we're accumulating interest on it. Razz
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 9:37 am

Gulp will get around to it, probably.

I won't lie. We've been doing a lot of live testing. It's unfair, on one hand... but on the other... it's the only way to actually test this stuff. Since just having 2 people test space combat finds the glaring bugs, but not the "practical bugs."
Back to top Go down
Tah
Emeritus Wizard
Tah

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyFri Aug 14, 2009 1:42 pm

We're going to award everyone after all ST hooks are done. That means approximately in a week. We're waiting for our second batch of hooks.

We felt it was better to just get everything done in one fell swoop.
Back to top Go down
Gliv
Fledgling
Fledgling

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 11:19 am

It's been a little over a week. Any update on this?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Bonker
Fledgling
Fledgling

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 12:08 pm

In my log from the 20th this is the response I got when I asked Gamma, and when I subsequently asked if there was some sort of time frame.

Quote :

Gamma pages: It's hard to say. It depens on how quick we get the hooks written up between running mission and the like.

Gamma pages: We're doing the best we can. It's free XP, and it'll be given out in time.
Back to top Go down
Gliv
Fledgling
Fledgling

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 12:11 pm

Pshaw, that was three entire days ago, who knows what sort of incredible changes have taken place since that time.
Back to top Go down
Bogey
Fledgling
Fledgling

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 2:26 pm

It would definitely be a nice touch Smile I am not sure how hard it is to give xp codewise, but maybe everyone who got a plot hook could submit a request stating so. That way it is easy to identify who did and who didn't and log it off as you go along?
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 3:05 pm

We have a complete list of who received hooks and who hasn't received XP (everyone)

No need to request for it.
Back to top Go down
Gliv
Fledgling
Fledgling

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Presumably plot hooks are stored on character objects as hidden attributes. Staff can just search for (Everyone who is approved) + (Everyone who has a plot hook) and award xp in a single command. The delay mentioned a week ago is, from my understanding, they're trying to get everyone who is going to get story hooks done before they issue this command, so that they can get everyone in one fell swoop.

The alternative to this would be to have the awarding command also set another attribute, something like &d.plothookxpawarded =yes, and then have the check to award command only award xp if that attribute is undefined or set to no.

I don't really know if plot hooks are an ongoing element or were just available at opening, though.
Back to top Go down
Bogey
Fledgling
Fledgling

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 4:03 pm

Well maybe all the folks who are on the list now can get their xp with that command, and then in the future just grant the xp as soon as they get the plot hook in the mail. Just make it part of the plot hook granting process.

A) Determine Plot hooks for char
B) Mail char Plot Hooks
C) Hand out XP

So that way, if you have plot hooks you also have your xp and you close the loop right then and there.
Back to top Go down
Royal Jelly
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan
Royal Jelly

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 4:46 pm

30 xp. Serious business.
Back to top Go down
rcrantz
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
rcrantz

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:38 pm

It's more an issue of staff honesty and transparency than anything else. I assume that there is a reasonably simple give XP command--even if there isn't, it would be very easy to code one, assuming that a single command can give people XP. Then it's just a matter of going through the list of names and typing the fresh-coded $-command for each of them. You could probably ven do a @dolist.

So the question becomes: it is a simple matter. Why has nobody bothered? What are they waiting for? Why are they so much later than expected? Why hasn't there been a release?

30 xp is negligible, though less so at early levels. But I think the players have a right to expect transparency and honesty from staff.
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:19 pm

We've been busy dealing with events we've been trying to run, player requests, missions, new documentation, bug lists, and problem players.

But it's one of those things that people will get. Just be patient.
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:33 pm

It is most peculiar!
Back to top Go down
rcrantz
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
rcrantz

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:38 pm

Okay, so. Let's assume that it takes an uninterrupted minute to enter the command to give someone their XP, and a minute to subsequently remove them from the list of people who need XP. Let's furthermore assume that you have 60 players who need their hook XP yet, and that only four staffers are working on the problem. Player hooks were completed on August 4th, if my @mail does not deceive me. That means that, every day after the 4th, these staffers have had the ability to start going through and granting XP--19 days. If each of these staffers took two minutes out of his day to type the appropriate commands, once, then every one of those players and change could have gotten hook XP.

More realistically, let's assume that the command takes about ten seconds to enter, after the initial $-command is coded if necessary (which could take five minutes on a very slow day) and one staffer has been chosen to go through the list. Let's assume that he can't use a @dolist, which would make it almost instantaneous.

At ten seconds per player, it will take him one minute to cover six players, and ten minutes to cover sixty players. This can easily be broken up throughout an evening, or done in one sitting. It could even be done over the course of several days--dedicating a mere minute a day and he could have it done in ten days.

So, you will have to forgive me for not buying the line that you have been too busy. If you tell me the command necessary and give me the list of needed players, I can even write the command for you. All you will have to do is paste it into your client and hit enter.
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 9:48 pm

It could be done in less than 5 minutes by 1 wizard even if you didnt script it using simple copy and paste.

Most peculiar.
Back to top Go down
MandalorianPride
Fledgling
Fledgling
MandalorianPride

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Wow.   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 10:42 pm

You guys are stringing up code lines and making post after post on integrity theories to complain about why you haven't gotten your 30 XP for story hook lines on a star wars text based game yet?

Even AFTER staff has already posted?

I'm just clarifying here.

+check sanity=difficult
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 11:01 pm

Yes. And you are so cool that you do not play a star wars game or post on an OOC forum relating to said star wars game.
Back to top Go down
rcrantz
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
rcrantz

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 pm

MandalorianPride wrote:
You guys are stringing up code lines and making post after post on integrity theories to complain about why you haven't gotten your 30 XP for story hook lines on a star wars text based game yet?

Even AFTER staff has already posted?

I'm just clarifying here.

+check sanity=difficult

Yeah, that doesn't ring true very well when you're posting on the slightly obscure OOC forums of the same text based game. Me, I just think it's interesting that staff apparently has not had the ten minutes to do something they apparently promised on day 2. Staff has already posted, but I don't really believe their claims.

You see, I'm a social scientist. I just find it all so fascinating. The OOC politics of the game are at least as interesting as the IC happenings, and infinitely more interesting on a broader scale. So I derive value from these conversations, and I know exactly what that value is. I'm not sure what you're getting out of it if all you see here is 'these people are losers/insane.'
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 12:02 am

Stop the back and forth, everyone. Thank you.

Don't make people +check sanity, don't throw it back at them.

This type of behavior gets no where.
Back to top Go down
rcrantz
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
rcrantz

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 12:05 am

Now, when you say back and forth, do you mean conversation, as that term usually implies?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Story hook XP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Story hook XP   Story hook XP Empty

Back to top Go down

Story hook XP
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars: Dark Horizons :: Community :: General Discussion-
Jump to: