Star Wars: Dark Horizons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums to the MUSH: SWDH

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Force Alignment system

Go down 
+3
Mot
Firehawk
Forrester
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Forrester
Nub--Newbie?!
Nub--Newbie?!
Forrester

Force Alignment system Empty
PostSubject: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyWed May 27, 2009 10:06 pm

So, this is my first post. I have an idea.

I think there should be a player submissions system for changing another players alignment. The normal +darkside should still be there, but the players should be able to assist in the alignment as well based on action.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 2:05 am

Force Powers, Force Abilities, Force Affinities, and Force Alignment are going through a rather large overhaul.

Actions will affect everything you do. Not just your force alignment. But how NPCs interact with you, how your armies obey you, how your fellow pilots respect you.

You have a chance, now, to be a hero in your every action.

You also have a chance, now, to be a villain in your every terror.

Will the people cheer you as a Princess gives you a gold medal? Or will they shrink from your footsteps as you walk by them in an evil mask.

Actions matter.

Now, whether or not players will be able to submit each other or not? Maybe. It seems like a good way to bring stuff to attention since everyone can't be everywhere. But a good system will definitely need to be developed for it.
Back to top Go down
Mot
Fledgling
Fledgling
Mot

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 11:49 am

The easy way to do this would be to add a +rep that let you once per week (or month) comment on a person's moral behavior. Don't make it as simple as +vote or the player coded +voteall, require an explanation of the action(s) that make you feel their perceived alignment should change.

Sith leader not punishing his subordinates for failures? +goodytwoshoes him with examples.

Smuggler only taking hard luck cases and donating creds to orphanages? Might find he's too clean to get good paying dishonest work.

Hero of the Rebels who just won the major victory secretly a spice addict? +tsktsk him with the story.
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Yeah, I like the idea of a +rep command that lets you comment on someone. But maybe not limit it to once per week or month. Instead provide examples of what is considered worth bringing to staff's attention.

A penalty can be given to players who abuse the system too much. But I don't like the idea of limits. Since what if you see Gulp do something that's totally worth an adjustment. Then tomorrow you RP with T and his character also does something! Too bad? Nah! If it's worth a nom, it's worth a nom. If not? Then not.
Back to top Go down
Mot
Fledgling
Fledgling
Mot

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 1:27 pm

The limit was suggested more to prevent the typical abuse of spamming 'gulp has bad taste in rocketball teams' and to give a bit of time for the review/adjustment to take place.

I was putting the limit on submissions about a person per player, rather than submissions per player. if both tah and gulp are spraying grafitti about the corellian rangers being better than the bothan spies across the side of magtrains, then you would need (and probably want) to report both of them.

Man.. we're making our wizzes out to be hoodlums.
Back to top Go down
Gulp
Game Owner
Gulp

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 1:34 pm

I'll have you know that the Byss Flesh-Eaters pretty much rule the league.
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 2:03 pm

If someone is spamming using an unfettered command. They lose access.

Pretty effective, no?
Back to top Go down
Haibane
Vagrant
Vagrant
Haibane

PostSubject: Flip Floppers   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 4:58 pm

According to the SW movies and the d6 and d20 versions, flip flopping from one side to the other with alignment is something that is supposed to be rare and difficult. From what the oldies tell me this happens a lot, though I only witnessed it once. The one time it did happen the equivlant of Yoda went to the dark side. I always though this was kinda hard to believe but I'm only one opinion.

Same thing happens the other direction, a Sith lord becoming a good guy. Its not impossible mind you, but the one instance we have in the movies was death followed shortly there after.

Maybe implement some kind of XP loss when a character adjusts alignments? If someone is grey and 0 then the loss would be 0. But when someone is +100 or -100 on the Force alignment meter, then why not give -1000 XP for pulling a U-turn. It'd be more realistic. Even in Dugeons and Dragons if a Paladin goes to Blackguard they lose a lot of powers and gain few new ones in their place. Usually the trade is a bad one.

Why not have the same thing here?
Back to top Go down
Gulp
Game Owner
Gulp

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 5:11 pm

That's a very good idea.
Back to top Go down
Sol
Fledgling
Fledgling
Sol

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptyThu May 28, 2009 5:18 pm

So this has nothing to do with the thread, but Forrester: Your avatar is awesome Smile
Back to top Go down
Paradox
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Paradox

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptySat May 30, 2009 6:10 pm

The big question I have regarding all this, is there going to be a spelt out expectations for Force Users. So Jedi know 'doing that is bad' or 'doing this is good' or will it be continuing in the 'interpretive' stance. Where 'Oh I feel happy while I slaughter the Jawas, so it must be Lightside' crap. That's a major issue I believe regarding the Force, having it understood by the PCs who do carry the mantle what is expected regarding IC morality.
Back to top Go down
Gulp
Game Owner
Gulp

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptySat May 30, 2009 6:27 pm

Yes. Morality will be spelled out quite clearly. In the reformed, Luke Skywalker-refounded Jedi Order, it's very hard to get by if you aren't genuinely good -- or at least genuinely committed to doing good, regardless of what you might feel in the privacy of your heart.
Back to top Go down
Paradox
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Hopeless SWDH Fanatic
Paradox

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system EmptySat May 30, 2009 6:36 pm

With it spelled out then one would think that it'll be much easier to self-police and internally police such things. One of the bigger issues that arose I'm told in the Jedi on DH was there were majorly differing opinions on what constituted right/wrong which led to utter abandonment of +darkside unless it was needed for a combat HP boost.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Force Alignment system   Force Alignment system Empty

Back to top Go down

Force Alignment system
Page 1 of 1