Star Wars: Dark Horizons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forums to the MUSH: SWDH

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Staff Policing

Go down 
+5
Devin
Gazala
SexyBoy
Firehawk
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 1:37 pm

I've noticed a couple of instances on DH2 where staff has come in as NPCs to break up fights, criminal activity, and et cetera on Vasatissa. Perfectly reasonable, considering the world's theme and outlook.

I have to take slight issue with what I believe is rather uneven enforcement, though. We're all about slapping down the criminals/pirates who get into blasterfights in the spaceport.

But what about the whole group of players that roams around in full sith gear wielding blaster rifles? I've even heard wizards tell these players to stop, and they do not. When are these guys going to get arrested and have every piece of their gear confiscated by the authorities?

When are we going to see staff play some random badguys out to inflict misfortune on the group of upstanding citizens out at the cafe for a cup of tea? When will we see staff NPC thugs attacking well dressed rich yuppies entering crummy criminal filled neighborhoods?

Is my point clear or is it incredibly muddled? If staff is going to play cops, they should enforce the planets laws. If staff is going to jump in as one type of NPC, i'd like to see them jump in as stickup men, space pirates, or anything else.

Lets not get into a situation here (Like DH1) where the criminal-types are ruthlessly repressed and hunted down to the point where no one wants to give that side of the game any love.
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 2:23 pm

First of all: we are aware. We also are rather outnumbered. And... the severity of crimes matters. It's a lot easier to just go after someone for discharging a weapon than to bring what will come down on Sith operating openly.

But everything that people do will affect things. Just like some crimes (running a red light in front of a cop) get a quick punishment, others (drug dealing) take more time and resources to round up all involved and make a big bust.
Back to top Go down
SexyBoy
Fledgling
Fledgling

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 5:58 pm

What happened to those fabled liaison people that were going to be around by the time DH2 started but are nowhere to be seen so people could address these issues more directly with staff?

I think those guys would help smooth these things over or somesuch.
Back to top Go down
Gazala
Nub--Newbie?!
Nub--Newbie?!

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 8:55 pm

I recall there being a call for people to vote for player liaisons, but unsure of exactly what the outcome was.
Back to top Go down
Devin
Wizard
Devin

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 am

Let's keep in mind it is... DAY 6.... of a brand new game. There are bugs to be squashed. I for one am getting paged every 3 minutes, which is expected and in no way upsetting but. I can't address OOC concerns, live my RL life, and be NPC'd and hunting down badguys all day and night.

Give it time, give it time, give it time.

Or heres an awesome Idea You have an RDF character? Go after um.
Back to top Go down
Mr.T
Wizard
Mr.T

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 10:24 am

Keep in mind that nobody outside of the Sith Empire knows what Sith gear is or what it represents. They still shouldn't be wearing it in public but there is nothing there to recognize ICly unless your character is in the know.

Hopefully we can get the other Sith to crack down on the ones wearing uniforms in public.

RDF players acting as coppers is a good suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Tah
Emeritus Wizard
Tah

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

As to Staff playing bad guys that terrorize the rich neighborhoods and what not, this has already happened. Bounty hunters totally crashed the mall to find a bounty, amongst other things. But that's besides the point.

You might not see the result yet for people you think deserve a punishment. Trust me, it's coming. Starting a blaster fight needs much more immediate attention and action than someone that wears armor. You know what they say, "Good things come to those who wait!"

Player Liaisons are coming.
Back to top Go down
Mr.T
Wizard
Mr.T

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Sorry for the double post. I know I'm bad about making them.

OK, I've asked about player liasons and while I don't have any official news I think I can safely give you a general idea. It seems that we are waiting for things to solidify a bit more before they are implemented. We are in week one of the game so a lot of things are still in flux and most players are busy deciding on their individual paths and characters. Many players have chosen new aliases and must rebuild solid reputations from the ground up. Those of you who have staffed, especially on a brand new but very active game, can guess what staff is up to presently. Most of us have yet to roll a character.

Timeframe: I can't give a solid answer on the timeframe because I don't have one but I will venture an educated guess or two. It is highly unlikely that we will have PLs before August 15th (read: within the first two weeks of the game opening). At the high end I think it is unlikely that we won't have them by late-September barring issues (read: barring major issues I think we will have them within the first two months).

Hopefully I can get something more concrete to you soon.
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Devin wrote:
Let's keep in mind it is... DAY 6.... of a brand new game. There are bugs to be squashed. I for one am getting paged every 3 minutes, which is expected and in no way upsetting but. I can't address OOC concerns, live my RL life, and be NPC'd and hunting down badguys all day and night.

Give it time, give it time, give it time.

Or heres an awesome Idea <no sarcasm simply an awesome idea> You have an RDF character? Go after um.

I for one think it is discouraging to hear this OOC concern RL nonsense on week 1 of a game, for someone who is a new wizard?

Our wizards are finding plenty of time to do other things such as randomly shooting down people in space, sending ruthless bounty hunters after characters, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Not to diminish your work, but oh please. I didnt even bring up staff being unavailable. They are available. Just enforcing things unevenly. That was my point. Lets not get it twisted and lets not have a pity party.
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 1:57 pm

We are not enforcing things unevenly.

That is all.
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Thank you.

Furthermore, if I walk down the street of any city in the world except perhaps Mogadishu in assault armor and carrying a rifle, i'll get picked up in about two minutes.
Back to top Go down
Firehawk
Wizard
Firehawk

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:20 pm

This is a different world.

But, again, it's not just being allowed!
Back to top Go down
SOLDIERofficer81
Fledgling
Fledgling
SOLDIERofficer81

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Just a clarification here. Am I assume that even if the clothing paragraph in a desc identifies Sith armor as being the armor of the Sith, that I should ignore it ICly?
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:33 pm

I'd say so unless it bears some known Sith emblem. Just because something is a "Coruscanti Dress" by name doesnt mean the casual onlooker knows the items origin.

But again, sith armor is not the point, even though thats what it was. Our staff has said that wearing armor and brandishing guns on Vasatissa will get you locked up. The armor in question - That i've seen worn by numerous players - Is Sith armor.
Back to top Go down
Sephiroth9611
Fledgling
Fledgling
Sephiroth9611

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:34 pm

SOLDIERofficer81 wrote:
Just a clarification here. Am I assume that even if the clothing paragraph in a desc identifies Sith armor as being the armor of the Sith, that I should ignore it ICly?
Many moons ago when I was an LA at Elendor, I always advised people writing new descs that they leave out things like their names or anything else that other players wouldn't know just by looking at them. 'Armor of the Sith' sounds like something I'd have a newbie change...
Back to top Go down
SWDH Fan
SWDH Fan

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing EmptyThu Aug 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Sephiroth9611 wrote:
SOLDIERofficer81 wrote:
Many moons ago when I was an LA at Elendor, I always advised people writing new descs that they leave out things like their names or anything else that other players wouldn't know just by looking at them. 'Armor of the Sith' sounds like something I'd have a newbie change...

Even though our games 'Sith armor' is not named 'Sith armor' , Sephiroth has one hell of a good point about descing here. Perhaps even worthy of putting in a help or news file somewhere. Descs should be what a given character sees, not what an uncreative descer wants them to see. If that makes sense. Now i've drifted off topic, probably for the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Staff Policing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Staff Policing   Staff Policing Empty

Back to top Go down

Staff Policing
Page 1 of 1